2014年4月28日星期一

Why is the Fujinon XF 56mm f1.2 So Good?

Digital Photography Blog


Posted by Leigh Diprose April 11, 2014 - 03:17 PM
I’ve been a X-Series user since the beginning. The X100 was a well thought out camera, and although it had its many quirks to begin with one thing, which remained unanimous to many testers and owners, was the great image quality due to the Fujinon lens.
As camera models have improved since the birth of the X100 I have personally seen a development by Fujifilm to bring the same high image standard to all of the X-Series Fujinon lens line up. The latest, which only strengthens this observation, is the release of the Fujinon XF 56mm f1.2.
Fujinon_56mm_f1.2_001
Fujifilm X-E2 - 134.5mm - ISO 200 - f/18 - 1/450 second
Many consumers and professionals alike have been waiting for this lens in particular due to its ability to recreate the perfect portrait formula; the subject in focus while the background becomes a beautiful creamy bokeh. Not only does the words f/1.2 sound fantastic when rolling off a your tongue, but in most cases the final image quality will leave you speechless. Here’s a prime example (pun intended) of what I’m talking about.
Jehanna_001
Fujifilm X-M1 - 56mm - ISO 400 - f/1.2 - 1/1600 second
The construction of the lens features 11 elements in 8 groups and when held in the hand the weight of the lens is only a mere 405g. To my knowledge this lens is much lighter than any other f1.2 lens currently available from the brand(s). I’m finding the lightweight construction of the Fujifilm X-Series camera and lens range is one of the many reasons why a clique of photographers are making the change. Personally for me this has been one of the reason why I decided to make the change.

Fujinon_56mm_f1.2_002
Fujifilm X-E2 - 121.8mm - ISO 200 - f/10 - 1/320 second
When coupled with the Fujifilm X-T1 the camera felt perfectly balanced when holding it to my eye. I found the manual aperture ring effortless to use when selecting my desired aperture and the end result of the photo was perfect every time.  When coupled with the lens hood this is becomes a serious piece of kit. I would highly recommend using this lens for photographing portraits or better still, low light situations. I’m so impressed with this lens I might even make a shirt that says, “Everything looks better at f/1.2,” what do you think?
Fujinon_56mm_f1.2_010
Fujifilm X-M1 - 56mm - ISO 200 - f/7.1 - 0.6 seconds
Over the last couple of weeks I wanted to test the 56mm f1.2 lens out for myself in some real world situations. I took the lens with me to an underground car park and more recently to a country town I was passing through. The camera I used for both shoots was the Fujifilm X-M1.
In the two images which follow you can see the original shot and then the 100% zoomed in cropped part of the image. I was quite impressed in the overall quality of the lens considering I was photographing under fluorescent lights and my subject was a digital screen.
Fujinon_56mm_f1.2_011
Fujifilm X-M1 - 56mm  - ISO 200 - f/8 - 1/3 second
In the 100% cropped version (shown below) you can even make out the finger prints on the touch screen.
Fujinon_56mm_f1.2_011_Crop
100% Crop Fujifilm X-M1 - 56mm  - ISO 200 - f/8 - 1/3 second
The next test was the bokeh test. To a photographer the three images below are absolute gold, there's nothing like the Fujinon bokeh!
Fujinon_56mm_f1.2_006
Fujifilm X-M1- 56mm  - ISO 200 - f/1.2 - 1/80 second
Fujinon_56mm_f1.2_009
Fujifilm X-M1 - 56mm  - ISO 200 - f/1.2 - 1/55 second
Fujinon_56mm_f1.2_008
Fujifilm X-M1- 56mm  - ISO 200 - f/1.2 - 1/60 second
Lastly I wanted to take a hand held photo of this small bank using the Fujifilm X-M1 and the Fujinon XF 56mm f1.2 lens. It happened to be raining and completely overcast so it was a perfect opportunity to push this lens to it's limits by taking advantage of the horrible light and situation. Setting the camera to ISO 800 and an aperture priority of f/7.1, the resulting shutter speed was 1/400 of a second. The hand held shot was as good as it was going to get.
Fujinon_56mm_f1.2_004
Fujifilm X-M1 - 56mm  - ISO 800 - f/7.1 - 1/400 second - Photographed  in the rain, hand held
Just for fun and to see what the quality of the 56mm lens was like I zoomed and cropped the above image to 200%. This is far closer than I would normally go. You can see the painted letters of the build still appear sharp, despite the hand held result in the rain. For me this confirms my belief...the XF 56mm f/1.2 is a mighty fine lens!
Fujinon_56mm_f1.2_004_Crop
200% Crop - Fujifilm X-M1 - 56mm  - ISO 800 - f/7.1 - 1/400 second - Photographed  in the rain, hand held
To sum up I thought about writing a summary on how good this lens is, but instead I’ll let you decide for yourself.  I did a quick Google search for “Fujinon 56mm f1.2 lens review” and filtered the results to show the last week of articles. Here’s three of the top results so be sure to check out what the reviewers think of this lens. I’m sure their thoughts (and any other reviewers thoughts) of the Fujinon XF 56mm f1.2 will reflect my own opinion.
Check out these reviews:
- “Its official, I dub the FUJINON 56mm F1.2 king of the hill and knight thy lens as one official BOKEH MONSTER!”Bokeh Monster
- “This lens is a fine addition to the X-series lens line up. It is incredibly sharp when stopped down, and performs well wide open too. The build and handling are also of the same high standard we've come to expect from Fujifilm.”ephotozine.com
- "Enter the FUJINON XF 56mm f/1.2, the fast 85mm equivalent Fuji fans have been waiting for to round out their primes kits. At f/1.2 it’s much faster, but it’s also bigger, heavier, and significantly more expensive. Are these tradeoffs worth the creamy bokeh making goodness of an f/1.2 lens? Read on to find out". – Fuji vs Fuji

没有评论:

发表评论